Eddie Bauer vs The North Face vs Gander Mountain: Outdoorwear Compared
When you’re going into the outdoors, having the proper clothing is going to be the number one thing that you miss if you don’t have it. Here are a few places to get outdoor wear including a comparison of how each company with regards to different features.
Eddie Bauer focuses on providing outdoorwear for adventurers who want to hike or do other similar activities outside. You can call them at 1-800-426-8020. The site has plenty of reviewers for items such as the MicroTherm coats so that you can get a sense of how well people who actually use them like them.
- Free Shipping on Orders of $99 More-This deal comes and goes, and you need a code to pull it off, but it’s a way to save money, and not too hard since a lot of warmer clothing is going to cost close $100.
- 24/7 Phone Service-The customer service phone line is available anytime day or night for quick help.
- Verisign Security for Online Safety-With all the electronic break-ins happening lately, it definitely helps to see the VeriSign seal on a site so you know that it’s being professionally protected electronically and not just with their in-house team.
- Lifetime Guarantee-Eddie Bauer has a lifetime guarantee that’s unconditional. If anything that you buy from the site falls apart, you can return it no matter what.
- MicroTherm-Some of the coats have microchannels in them that help maximize heat retention with tiny channels.
- StormDown-This feature in the coats is designed to keep water out of the coat using a special shell made of polyester.
The North Face
The North Face is one of the most famous companies around for outdoor wear, especially when it comes to jackets. They also offer shirts, backpacks, and specific outdoor gear like for skiing or snowboarding. You can buy backpacks for specific purposes like hiking or climbing, and even specialized shoes like for running.
- Free Shipping on All Orders-You don’t have to worry about racking up enough cost to get free shipping through North Face, since it’s always free.
- Select Site for Your Country and Language-If you put your cursor over the flag at the top of the store, you’ll be able to select a country and a language that corresponds to you situation better than whatever the standard was.
- Custom Design Your Jacket-If you click on the “Custom” menu option at the top of the page, you can choose an option like “Design Men’s.” This will let you design exactly the custom jacket you want, such as a custom Denali Jacket. You can customize the main color of the fleece from 20 different colors. You can also customize the Taslan, the zipper, the logo stitching and the zipper pulls in terms of color as well.
- High Recycled Content-Many of the clothing options for outdoor wear such as the jackets have as much as 83% recycled material.
- Taslan Abrasion-Resistant Fabric-Many of the clothing from North Face comes with special fabric designed specifically to be more durable at high-stress areas such as the elbows and shoulders.
- Seasonal Short-term Sales-There are often seasonal sales at Gander Outdoors, such as where you can get 20% off specifically for ordering outdoorwear online.
- Free Shipping and Returns for Clothing and Footwear-You can’t get this for everything on the site, but it does apply for anything that you wear. This is the standard ground shipping. You can also get free shipping if you order more than $25. This applies to the lower 48 States only. If you want, you can also buy it online and pick it up at the store too.
- Rewards Certificates Through Mastercard-The Gander MasterCard gives you a few bonuses like 0% liability on purchases you didn’t authorize, and bonuses to the rewards points program.
- Bizrate Seal-You can click on where it says “Bizrate” in the bottom left corner of the site to check out the customer satisfaction reviews. These tend to hover around 8.8.
- Price Match-Gander lets you contact them within 14 days of seeing a lower price than the one you bought in order to get a refund from them for the difference. This could be effective for getting lower rates when North Face or Carhart is offering outdoorwear for lower, for example since these companies are often featured on Gander.
Head to Head
The “Help & Support” menu at the top of the Eddie Bauer page will reveal the “Customer Service” link in a drop-down.
You can access support options in The North Face by clicking on “Help” in the top right corner of the site menu. There’s an email and “Chat Now” link on the new page. The chat hours are from 8 am to 7 pm EST with some hours on Saturday. The phone hours are similar to this. You can also start online returns from this page as well.
There’s a lifetime guarantee for Gander Outdoors, but it hash the expression “normal wear and tear” where Eddie Bauer just says “for any reason.” Gander does have a live chat through their “help center” link. Once you click on the chat link, it will say “Live” and the circle on the left will be green if it’s available. This turns red when they’re away. The hours are 9 am to 6 PM EST. This means they have fewer hours than North Face for support.
An example of outdoorwear from Eddie Bauer is their MicroTherm StormDown Hooded Jacket. This goes for $171 or so on sale. It has a windproof 20drecycled shell made of polyester to keep off moisture. This is called “StormRepel.” It also has something called “MicroTherm” which uses micro-channels to retain heat as efficiently as possible.
The Men’s Custom Denali Jacket from The North Face is $229 standard. It’s made of recycled Polartec fleece that’s water repellent.
An example of a jacket available through Gander Outdoors is the Guide Series Men’s Storm Waterproof 3-in-1 parka which goes for around $180 depending on the type. The store also has sales on outdoor wear from a variety of stores such as Carhart and North Face. They sell a North Face Thermball Remix Jacket for $120, for example.