Add the winter melon ash gourd to your dishes and resurrect like the mythological bird phoenix, which dies in a fire of its own making only to rise again from the ashes. Modern health condition of human beings is just like the phoenix bird burning in fire. Ash gourd, which is also called winter melon, is a panacea to regain normal health.
Ash gourd is also known as winter melon. Most of us do not care for many plants, such as ash gourd, which can easily be grown in our back yards. It is a fact proven by ancient sages of Ayurveda and others. Ancient Ayurvedic texts, such as Charaka Samhita and Ashtanga Hridaya Samhita, hail ash gourd for its many nutritional and medicinal properties.
Ash gourd belongs to the cucurbitaceae family and is known by many names. It is actually a fruit with an ash coating but normally is treated as a vegetable. It grows well in winter in most of the Asian countries. In India, ash gourd has a great religious value. It is considered to have power against evil spirits. Studies have proved the great nutrient values of ash gourd. It contains protein, carbohydrates and fiber. It also contains rich minerals and vitamins such as calcium, potassium, phosphorous, iron, riboflavin, thiamine, niacin and Vitamin C.
Ten Ayurvedic health benefits of ash gourd
1) Ayurveda gives primary importance to ash gourd. It is used to treat epilepsy, asthma and lung diseases. Ash gourd is used in Ayurvedic remedies to increase appetite.
2) Ash gourd is good diet for diabetic patients. Ayurveda suggests taking a daily dose of 15 ml ash gourd juice, mixed with the paste of bilva leaves (aegle marmelos). Since it is low in calories, it is ideal for diabetic patients.
3) Ash gourd is very effective for regulating the digestive system. The fiber property of ash gourd provides good relief from constipation and tones up the general digestive system. Ash gourd leaf juice, mixed with buttermilk, is given as a common remedy for stomach pain of diarrhea. Ash gourd seed powder has the power to eliminate intestinal worms.
4) The fresh juice of ash gourd has a very distinctive taste. Ayurveda recommends it as the best remedy for removing kidney stones. Regular dose of ash gourd juice, mixed with powdered cane jaggery and saltpeter, heals urinary obstruction and dissolves kidney stones.
5) Ash gourd is effective for treating mouth cancer. It protects teeth and gums when ash gourd juice is used as a regular mouth gargle. It is also good to heal bleeding of gums.
6) As gourd seeds, cooked in milk, is an effective remedy to increase the sperm count and to improve sperm locomotion.
7) Latest studies have confirmed effectiveness of ash gourd in the treatment of prostate enlargement or benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It is good for prostate cancer.
8) Ash gourd is a detoxifying agent. Its juice is taken as a morning drink in Asian countries. It eliminates toxins from the body. it is also effective in cases of mercury poisoning and insect bites.
9) Fresh ash gourd is used as a face cleanser. The burnt stem ash of ash gourd is mixed with cow’s urine and is applied for skin diseases such as scab or scurf. Small slices of ash gourd are used to massage face to remove black spots on the face.
10) Ayurveda considers ash gourd as a great tonic and brain food. All the parts of ash gourd are used in Ayurvedic medicines. Ayurvedic preparations of ash gourd as paste and liquid are very good for health and vitality.
Ash gourd is a great panacea for many diseases. It is a great remedy for the diseases of modern lifestyle. It enables you to resurrect from the ashes of a sickly life. It provides you a resurrection of fresh energy. Eat ash gourd and rise up like a spirited phoenix bird.