Comodo vs Thawte vs Entrust vs DigiCert: SSL Certificates
SSL certificates have become increasingly important to protect your personal and especially your business website. An SSL certificate gives your customers confidence that going to your website and using your website is safe, not to mention they can protect your websites from attacks. Along with SSL certificates, the following companies also offer code signing document certificate plans.
Established in 1998, Comodo has a large selection of antivirus, firewall and SSL certificate products. In addition to the products they sell, they also offer free antivirus and firewall software. With headquarters in the United States, they also have offices all over the world.
Comodo SSL Certificate Features
Comodo offers many types of SSL certificates for all website applications. Their SSL certificates and certificate management products include:
- For single domains
- For all of your sub domains
- For your exchange servers
- For your online code
- Enterprise certificate manager
Comodo SSL Certificate Products and Features
- Comodo SSL Certificate: Is ideal for one domain with fast validation and phone, email and web support. The Comodo SSL certificate is trusted by all browsers and uses 2048 bit industry standard. This SSL certificate also includes a 30 day money back guarantee and a $250,000 relying party warranty.
- Wildcard SSL Certificate: Includes multiple sub domains, multiple servers and an unlimited re-issuance policy.
- Extended Validation SSL: This product offers green bar instant assurance, full business validation and priority phone support.
- UCC SSL: Includes single and multiple sub domains, official Microsoft UCC vendor and up to 100 domain names.
- Free SSL Certificates: Will be issued online in minutes, 90 day validity period and 256 bit encryption.
Comodo SSL Certificate Differences and Advantages
Their Comodo SSL certificate is the quickest and easiest way to protect transactions with customers.
Comodo Wildcard SSL certificate works the same way as their Comodo SSL certificate with added benefits. The great advantage about their Wildcard SSL certificates is that these SSL certificates cover any and all of your sub domains. This means that your main domain is covered plus all other sub domains on your websites and web pages like payments, logins and everything else.
Their Wildcard SSL certificate includes a free Trustlogo site seal that can improve customer conversations, a Free 1 year PCI and website scanning offers are each limited to one license per-account and a 30 day money back guarantee.
The Comodo Extended Validation SSL (EV SSL) provides a green address bar that provides immediate trust with your customers and helps customer conversions. Also included is 2048 bit highest assurance SSL certificate with 99.9% browser recognition and $1,750,000 relying party warranty.
Unified Communications Certificate (UCC) is great for saving money, ease of use, $250,000 relying party warranty and one of three official Microsoft UCC vendors that include Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Office Communication Server and multiple domains and sub domains.
Comodo SSL Certificate Plans and Prices
Comodo SSL single domain Certificate Prices are as follows:
- 3 years for $76.95
- 2 years for $89.95
- 1 year for $99.95
Comodo SSL Wildcard Certificate prices:
- 3 years cost $404.95
- A 2 year plan costs $427.95
- 1 year plan costs $449.95
Comodo Enterprise (EV) SSL Certificate Prices:
- A 2 year plan costs $99 per year
- 1 year plan also costs $99 per year
Unified Communications Certificate (UCC) SSL Certificate Prices:
- A 3 year plan cost $235 per year
- 2 year plan costs $262.50
- 1 year plan costs $285 per year
Thawte was founded in 1995 by Mark Shuttleworth in South Africa. By 2000, they accounted for 40% of the worldwide SSL certificate market. Since 1995, they have issued more than 945,000 SSL certificates in over 240 countries. Thawte was acquired by Symantec.
Thawte SSL Products
Thawte offers many different types of SSL certificates and code signing certificates.
- SSL web server certificates with EV
- SSL web server certificates
- SSL 123 certificates
- SSL 123 wild card certificates
- SAN / UC capable certificates
- Wild card SSL certificates
- SSL for enterprise
Code signing certificates:
- Microsoft Authenticode multi purpose supports kernel mode signing support for Window XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1.
- Sun Java is recognized by Java Runtime Environment and can digitally sign .jar files and Java applications for desktop and mobile devices.
- Adobe Air allows digitally sign .air or .airi files and is required for all AIR-based applications.
- Mac allows customers to digitally sign Apple desktop applications.
- Microsoft Office VB allows you to digitally sign VBA objects, scripts and macros for Microsoft Office .doc, .xls, .ppt, .docx, .xlsx and .pptx files.
Thawte SSL Advantages
Each Thawte SSL certificate has a specific advantage including:
- SSL web server certificates with EV is best for credit card transacting websites and banks and financial institutions. This plan has a green bar for prominent assurance to increase trust and boost customer confidence. Most certificates are issues within 1 to 3 days.
- SSL web server certificates are best for enterprise applications and business websites. This plan gives a visible assurance to customers that your website and domain are tied to your organization. Certificates are issued in 1 day usually.
- SSL 123 is best for securing internal servers and private websites. This includes SSL encryption with a padlock icon. Most SSL 123 certificates are issued within minutes.
Thawte SSL certificate Plan Prices
- SSL web server certificates with EV cost $299 for a 1 year plan.
- SSL web server certificates cost $199 for a 1 year plan and customers can add wildcard for an extra $400.
- SSL 123 costs $149 for a 1 year plan and you can add wildcard for an extra $569.
They also offer 2 year and 3 year plans for greater savings. Each of the above plans includes the following features with each certificate:
- Thawte trusted site seal
- Thawte certificate center
- Unlimited server licensing
- Free reissues
- Access to SSL / TLS tools
- 99% browser compatibility
- Technical support
- Up to 256 bit encryption strength
- Base Domain Provided as Free SAN
- A 30 day money back guarantee
Their website offers a great comparison SSL certificate page that can help everyone compare the differences between the different types of SSL certificates and how they can benefit your particular situation.
Thawte Signed Certificates Prices
Thawte also sells several types of signed certificates. A signed certificate can assure that your code will be safe and trustworthy for all of your website customers. Their signed certificates have the following prices for all signed certificates:
- A 1 year plan costs $299
- 2 year plan costs $519
- 3 year plan costs $749
Entrust is privately held company that was originally founded in 1969. They offer all types of SSL certificates for consumers, regional and national governments and enterprises. Entrust is best for the following businesses and organizations:
- Security for enterprise
- Security for financial institutions
- Security for critical infrastructure
- Security for law enforcement
- Security for governments
Entrust SSL Products
In addition to all of their products and services they offer, Entrust also offers a great selection of SSL certificates and certificate management products including:
- Extended validation (EV) multi domain SSL certificates
- Unified communication (UC) multi domain SSL certificates
- Advantage SSL certificates
- Standard SSL certificates
- Wildcard SSL certificates
- Private SSL certificates
Their website also includes many tools to help all consumers decide which SSL certificates are best for their websites.
Entrust SSL Certificates Differences and Advantages
Each Entrust SSL certificate offers the following advantages:
- EV multi-domain SSL: A green bar with your company name and the padlock symbol, highest trust for visitors and up to 250 domains for an additional cost.
- Advantage SSL: The address bar with the padlock symbol, includes your organization name in the certificate details and avoids browser error messages.
- Standard SSL: Discloses organization name in the certificate details and avoids browser error messages.
- UC multi-domain SSL: Plus 3 more domains and up to 250 domains at an additional cost.
- Wildcard SSL: Unlimited sub domains, unlimited server licensing, up to 250 domains for an additional cost, supports multiple domain and allows you to easily manage name changes.
- Private SSL: Secures internal domain names, unlimited reissues, free support and warranty protection.
- Certificate Management: A centralize platform, compliance monitoring, best practices, reporting and auto-installers, discovery and more.
Entrust SSL Certificate Plan Prices
- EV multi-domain SSL starts at $321.75 per year.
- Advantage SSL starts at $239 per year.
- Standard SSL starts at $199 per year.
- UC multi-domain SSL starts at $319 per year.
- Wildcard SSL starts at $699 per year.
- Private SSL starts at $122 per year
The above prices are different than their web site shows. These prices they are listing as new prices when you click on Buy Now for each SSL certificate product. Most of their plans also offer 2 year and 3 year plans.
DigiCert is located in Utah and has been in business for a decade providing SSL certificates and SSL management tools for many thousands of customers. They serve over 115,000 customers in more than 180 countries including Facebook, Yahoo, IBM, Paypal and many other well known companies.
DigiCert SSL Certificates
DigiCert offers the following SSL certificates which all include 2048 bit encryption and authentication. Their SSL certificates are as follows:
- SSL Plus certificates: This is a single name SSL certificate that provides encryption and authentication for one domain.
- Extended Validation (EV) SSL: An extended validation SSL certificate can increase a company’s customer conversion rate and customer confidence with the green bar of assurance with this SSL.
- Extended Validation (EV) multi domain SSL: The same great assurance that works with multi domains.
- Multi Domain SAN Certificate: Multi domain certificates or SAN certificates use Subject Alternative Names to secure multiple websites with one certificate.
- Wildcard Plus certificates: This is an SSL certificate for unlimited servers and domains. These Wildcard certificates use Subject Alternative Names (SANs) to secure a domain and all of its first-level sub domains. For example, a certificate for *.example.com secures www.example.com, mail.example.com, etc.
DigiCert SSL Certificate Pricing Plans
DigiCert has the following pricing plans for each of their SSL certificates:
- SSL Plus certificates costs $175 for a 1-year plan, $157 for a 2-year plan and $139 for a 3-year plan.
- Extended Validation (EV) SSL costs $295 for a 1-year plan and $234 for a 2-year plan.
- Extended Validation (EV) multi domain SSL costs $489 for a 1-year plan and $389 for a 2-year plan. The 1-year plan includes 3 additional names at $99 per additional name and the 2 year plan includes 3 additional names for $169 for each additional name. The 2 year plan is their best value.
- Multi Domain SAN Certificate costs $299 for a 1-year plan and allows 4 additional names, each for $49. The 2-year plan costs $269 with 4 additional names at a cost of $79 each. The 3-year plan costs $239 with 4 additional names at a price of $99 each.
- Wildcard Plus certificates costs $595 for a 1-year plan, $535 per year for a 2-year plan and $475 per year for a 3-year plan.
DigiCert offers one of the best ways to protect your business and website from brute force attacks by using 256-bit encryption along with 2048-bit root certificates.
DigiCert Document Signing Certificates
DigiCert also offers several types of signing certificates including:
- Code signing certificates
- EV code signing certificates
- Document signing certificates
Code signing certificates are important and used by software developers to digitally sign a program to prove that it has not been altered or compromised by a third party.
Their document signing certificates are very flexible and used for Adobe PDFs, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice and LibreOffice documents.
DigiCert offers 1 year, 2 year and 3 year pricing plans for all of their document signing certificates.