Common and Proper Nouns Guide
Common and Proper Nouns
When you talk or write about persons, places, or things in general, you use a common noun.
Scientist work hard. They come from many countries.
When you talk or write about a particular person, place, or thing, you use proper noun.
Marie Curie was a scientist. She came from Poland.
Study the chart below. Notice that every proper noun begins with capital letter. When a proper noun is made up of more than one word, only the important words in the noun begin with a capital letter. Do not caoutalie words such as the, of, or for.
Common and Proper Nouns
|Common Nouns||Proper Nouns||Common Nouns||Proper Nouns|
|street||North Drive||river||Hudson River|
|state||Maryland||law||Bill of Rights|
|ocean||Arctic Ocean||hoiday||Fourth of July|
|lake||Great Salt Lake||day||Monday|
Which words are proper nouns and should be capitalized?
Which words are common nouns?
Example: europe (cap.):Europe
- san diego
- north carolina
- john adams
- A common noun names any person,place or thing.
- A proper noun names a particular person,place, or thing.
- Begin each important word in a proper noun with a capital letter.
More for Practice!
A. Write each pair of nouns. Capitalize the proper nouns.
Example: stanley-brother Ans: Stanley-brother
- united states-country
- president-thomas jefferson
- statue of liberty-monument
- author-louisa may lcott
- avenue of the america-avenue
- building-empire state building
B. List the common nouns and proper nouns in each of the following sentences.
Example: Naomi reads about some important women. Common: women proper: Naomi
- Maria Tallchief is a famous ballerina.
- This dancer has performed in New York and Paris.
- Tallchief has received the Indian Achievement Award.
- Marian Anderson is best known for singing opera.
- Anderson was the first black singer to perform with the Metropolitan Opera.
- This singer received honors from several countries.
- Amelia Earhart flew across the Atlantic Ocean.
- This pilot was the first woman to cross the ocean alone.
- Her last flight was over the Pacific Ocean.
- Marie Currie is the first women to get 2 Nobel Prize Award.
- This heroine helped French soldiers defeat England.
- Betsy Ross lived in Philadelphia.
- George Washington met this excellent seamstress.
- The general asked Ross to make the first flag.
- Mary Hays became famous in the Revolutionary War.