Causes of Sore and Bleeding Gums: Home Remedies and Natural Treatment for Bleeding Gums
Sore, bleeding gums are characterized by swelling, pain, development of deep pockets between the teeth and gums, loose teeth, receding gum line, and unpleasant breath (also referred to as halitosis).
Sore Swollen and Bleeding Gums Causes
There are a wide range of causes for bleeding of gums; nonetheless, generally, bleeding gums are suggestive of gingivitis or a peri-odontal disorder
- The main cause for bleeding gums is gingivitis. Gingivitis an inflammation of the gums. The condition occurs due to bad oral hygiene, which tends to encourages growth of bacteria. Bacteria form tartar and plaques, which therefore cause bleeding of the gums.
- Peri-odontitis, another significant cause for bleeding gums, develops when gum inflammation is not untreated appropriately.
- Over zealous and vigorous brushing injures gums too; also the enamel erodes away. This exposes the dentin layer of the teeth which contains nerves, therefore, making teeth highly sensitive to hot and / or cold foods.
- Hormonal changes cause bleeding gums, as well, particularly in women. Bleeding gum is a common complaint among females during menopause
- Vitamin K deficiency and vitamin C deficiency also causes bleeding and soreness of gums.
- Smoking is another important causative factor.
- Ill-fitting dentures, wrong way of flossing, and using drugs like, anti coagulants, calcium channel blockers, oral contraceptives and anti depressants trigger bleeding of gums too.
Home Remedies for Sore and Bleeding Gums
- Aloe vera: aloe vera gel application soothes inflammation appreciably. Apply the gel every night and leave on.
- Salt water: gargling with warm salt water, especially, after every meal is an excellent and effective home remedy. Salt alleviates the pain immensely and fights infection too.
- Ginger: ginger supplies the body with gingerols, powerful anti inflammatory compounds. Gingerols allay pain and swelling considerably. Grate a piece of ginger, and massage your gums with the juice. Leave on, and then gargle.
- Lime: brush your teeth two times, everyday with lime juice. Also, gargling with lime juice is recommended. Lime is known to combat infections, supply loads of vitamin C and check bleeding.
Natural Treatment for Bleeding Gums
- Most significantly, you ought to follow a healthy diet, rich in vitamin C, vitamin K and calcium. These nutrients are essential for dental health.
- Maintain good dental hygiene. Visit your dentist once in 6 months.
- Wearing dentures all the time causes soreness and bleeding of gums. Remove them every 6 hours, and let your gums breathe. Take them off before retiring to bed.