Bereavement Sayings & QuotesFitness Gear & Equipment
Often we have to go through the grieving process alone. But sharing our grief and loss with our family members and friends makes it easier to tackle the hard times. We need sincere people around us who understand what you are going through and want to help. We all need to know and share each others pain at the time of grief. Throughout life we experience many losses, some large and some small. Whenever we have a loss, we experience grief in some form. It may feel like it might be impossible to recover after losing someone you love. During the grieving process words of sympathy and quotes can help to relieve some pain.
We must learn how to grieve in healthy ways and work through our difficulties. If you are wondering what you can do to help a friend who is in intense mourning, these sayings of wise persons or quotes offer us some points to think about life realities.
What is Bereavement or grief?
Grief is a reaction to a major loss. It is most often an unhappy and painful emotion. Bereavement is a distressing but common experience. Sooner or later most of us will suffer the death of someone we love.
Bereavement Sayings & Quotes
- When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. ~Kahlil Gibran
- He spake well who said that graves are the footprints of angels. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey. ~Kenji Miyazawa
- While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil. ~John Taylor
- He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- Tears are God’s gift to us. Our holy water. They heal us as they flow. ~Rita Schiano, Sweet Bitter Love, 1997, published by The Reed Edwards Company
- When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure. ~Author Unknown
- It is the will of God and Nature that these mortal bodies be laid aside, when the soul is to enter into real life; 'tis rather an embrio state, a preparation for living; a man is not completely born until he be dead: Why then should we grieve that a new child is born among the immortals? ~Benjamin Franklin, 22 February 1756
And with the morn those angel faces smile
Which I have loved long since and lost awhile.
~John Henry Newman
- The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God. ~Quoted in The Angels' Little Instruction Book by Eileen Elias Freeman, 1994
- Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality. ~Emily Dickinson
- Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. ~Author Unknown
- Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow. ~Author Unknown
- For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity. ~William Penn
If tears could build a stairway,
And memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to Heaven
And bring you home again.
With what a deep devotedness of woe
I wept thy absence - o'er and o'er again
Thinking of thee, still thee, till thought grew pain,
And memory, like a drop that, night and day,
Falls cold and ceaseless, wore my heart away!
Hold on to what is good even if it is a handful of earth.
Hold on to what you believe even if it is a tree which stands by itself.
Hold on to what you must do even if it is a long way from here.
Hold on to life even when it is easier letting go.
Hold on to my hand even when I have gone away from you.( Pueblo Blessing )
There is a sacredness in tears.
They are not the mark of weakness,
but of power.
They speak more eloquently
than 10,000 tongues.
They are the messengers
of overwhelming grief,
of deep contrition,
and of unspeakable love.( Washington Irving )
Good-night! good-night! as we so oft have said
Beneath this roof at midnight, in the days
That are no more, and shall no more return.
Thou hast but taken up thy lamp and gone to bed;
I stay a little longer, as one stays
To cover up the embers that still burn.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Bereavement Verses Verses expressing emotions at a time of bereavement:
- “Those we love don’t go away, They walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard, but always near, Still loved, still missed and very dear. …Wishing you hope in the midst of sorrow, Comfort in the midst of pain.” – Anonymous
- “Although no words can really help to ease the loss you bear, Just know that you are very close in every thought and prayer. To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” – Thomas Campbell
- “We pray God will Comfort you, And send Angels from above, Giving sweet peace within your heart, Surrounding you with Eternal Love. We are sorry for your deep loss, There's so little we can find to say, You are in our thoughts and prayers, As we grieve with you today. With Our Heartfelt Sympathy. – Leona Miller
Condolence Messages and Messages of Sympathy Condolences expressed through thoughtful quotations:
- “Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight. – Rossiter Worthington Raymond
- “You don’t get over it, you just get through it. Your don’t get by it, because you can’t get around it. It doesn’t ‘get better,’ It just gets different. Everyday grief puts on a new face.” - Wendy Feireis
- “Do not stand at my grave and weep; I am not there. I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that blow; I am a diamond's glint on snow. I am the sunlight on ripened grain; I am the gentle autumn's rain. When you awaken in the morning's hush, I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds circled in flight. I am the soft star that shines at night.
- Do not stand at my grave and cry, I am not there. I did not die.” – Mary Elizabeth Frye
Note: There are many online grief share communities and forums where you can discuss your grief and loss.
Useful links and resources:
* Bereavement at Medline Plus