Baking Series - Part 6B: All American Pies and Cobblers
Granny smith Apples
When you think of American traditions - Apple Pie seem to always come to mind. The tartness of the apples married with the sweetness of brown sugar and cinnamon, not to mention that wonderful delicious fragrance that permeates the house. When it comes to desserts, there is nothing like a warm slice of homemade Apple Pie with a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream.
Except: when it comes to a Peach Pie or Cobbler - especially when it’s made with sweet Georgia Peaches. Infused with a touch of Peach Schnapps, this recipe can be used for pie or cobbler, topped with a pecan and brown sugar crumble. Enjoy this one with a big dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Apple Pie Filling
- 8 to 10 Tart Peeled Apples, Granny Smith or Pippin
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Peel, core, and slice the apples 1/4 inch thick, place in a 2 quart pot over low heat with the apple juice and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Stir into the apple mixture. Bring to a simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are slightly soft.
- Strain off liquid and return apple mixture to pot and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes, add butter and stir well. Pour mixture into prepared pie shell, top with pie crust, flute and prick or cut 4 slits in top to let off the steam.
- Place a 1 inch wide strip of foil, dull side up, around the pie crust’s edge to keep from over browning, remove the last 10 minutes of baking
- Place pie on cookie sheet and bake on middle rack in preheated 400 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Remove and brush crust with egg white wash mixed with a pinch of cinnamon.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 8 cups (3 pounds) fresh peaches, skinned, remove seed, slice 1/4 inch
- 1/4 cup Peach Schnapps
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl mix peach slices, Peach schnapps, lemon juice and almond extract, both sugars, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside for 20 minutes
- In a medium bowl sift and blend the flour and cornstarch, stir the flour mixture into the peach mixture and mix well. Pour the peaches into the pie crust and dot with the butter.
- Top with pie crust and crimp the edges to seal. Beat the egg with 1 teaspoon water and brush the crust and with the egg wash. Cover the edges of the crust with foil dull side up and remove last 10 minutes of baking.
- Bake on middle rack in preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool pie for about 20 minutes before serving.
This is the of my baking series..it was fun and sweet