Apple Medicinal Properties: Blood Purifier and Good Source of Iron
(Pyrus malus) The beautiful Apple Tree, known all over the world for its popular fruit, belongs to the plant family Rosaceae. It is a short tree with reddish-brown branches. The leaf margins are serrated or toothed, short petioled, pointed, oval and sometimes pubescent or covered with fine hairs. The attractive flowers seen in bunches are pinkish-white with yellow anthers. The round fruits have short stalks. They are acidic, sweet, and green, yellow, pink or red when ripe.
Parts Used: The bark and the fruit
- Intermittent fever, biliousness or excessive secretion of the bile, bladder stones, amenorrhea or absence of menstruation, indigestion, nausea, vomiting, griping pains in the bowels, dysentery, spleen and kidney diseases
- Insect bites, toothache and boils
- Blood purifier
- Rheumatism, gout and arthritis
- Chest problems
- Bronchitis, tuberculosis and asthma
- Pulmonary infection
- Sore throat and hoarseness
- Inflammation of the eyes
- Gastroenteritis in young children
- Tobacco or alcohol addiction and hemorrhoids
- Bronchitis and whooping cough
How to Use
- The bark of the tree is used by decoction, as a tea, for intermittent fever, biliousness, bladder stones, amenorrhea, indigestion, nausea, vomiting, griping pains in the bowels, dysentery, spleen and kidney diseases.
- As a wash it is used for insect bites, toothache and boils.
- The fruit is depurative or a blood purifier. Because of the malic acid which it contains, it eliminates the useless remains through metabolism.
- An apple fast cures rheumatism and gout. It also produces good results in case of arthritis. (Refer to the note below).
- The raw or baked apple is good for chest problems.
- As it contains a lot of iron, it is used in bronchitis, tuberculosis, and asthma.
- The juice of the apple cures pulmonary infections.
- Apple juice used in gargles is recommended for sore throat and hoarseness.
- The apple juice is also used for inflammation of the eyes. Wash the eyes twice a day with a roll of lint.
- Apart from being used as a food, apple powder is used to treat gastroenteritis in young children.
- Apple fasting produces good results in cases of tobacco and alcohol addiction and also in the treatment of hemorrhoids.
- It also helps in case of bronchitis and whooping cough. (Refer to the note below).
Note: For apple fasting the procedure suggested by A.C. Sas is as follows: On the first day, eat 1 kilo of apples at three different mealtimes. On the second day the quantity can be increased, and in a few days the amount of apples to be consumed would be 2 kilos. If the apple is produced without chemical sprays and artificial fertilizers, the fruit should be eaten unpeeled. The fasting or cure can last for a few days, or even for two or three weeks. The amount used depends on the nature of the disease. If the patient feels uneasy, he can interrupt fasting for a few days.