1. Although Micronesia is composed of thousands of islands, its land area is only 3, 185.6 km². It has a population of a little more than one hundred thousand people.
2. The former capital of the Federated States of Micronesia is Kolonia. It was replaced by Palikir in 1989 which is located on the island of Pohnpei with a population of more than four thousand. Its largest city is Weno with almost 14 thousand people.
3. English is the official language but several ethnic languages are spoken and the official currency of the Federated States of Micronesia is the United States dollar.
4. The only empire known to have originated in Micronesia was based in Yap.
5. About 6,000 islands formerly own by Spain in Micronesia were sold to Germany after Spain loss its authority in the Philippines. These include the Caroline Islands, the Mariana Islands, Palau and other possessions.
The City of Kolonia
6. The sub-region of Micronesia was then divided under the control of the United States, Germany and the British Empire.
7. The US controlled Guam and colonized Wake Island. Germany took control of Nauru, Caroline and Northern Mariana Islands while Great Britain controlled Gilbert Islands now known as Kiribati.
8. Nauru became as Australian mandate after the First World War while after the Second World War, Micronesia was ruled by the United States.
9. With the exception of Guam and Wake Island, all of Micronesia is independent states now. Micronesia's international airport is Pohnpei International Airport.
10. Northern Mariana Islands are US commonwealth while Wake Island and Guam are US territories.
Pohnpei International Airport' runway and seaport
11. The culture of Micronesia is a mixture of Filipino, Melanesian and Polynesian culture.
12. Nukuoro and Kapingamarangi languages are spoken in the Federated States of Micronesia. Other ethnic languages spoken in Micronesia include Yapase, Kosrean, Chukese, Pohnpeian, Ulithian and Woleaian.
13. If Southeast Asia has SEA Games, Micronesia also has the so-called Micronesian Games, a quadrennial international multi-sport event.
14. The primary industry in this sub-region of Oceania includes tourism, fish processing, construction, craft items and specialized aquaculture.
15. Their major agricultural products are betel nut, black pepper, cassava, sweet potatoes or camotes, coconuts, fruits and vegetables and pigs.
One of the largest money in world history - the Rai Stone or stone money
16. Major import products of Micronesia are bananas, black pepper, fish and garments.
17. The list of islands and groups of islands below are part of Micronesia:
- Caroline Islands, politically divided between Palau and the Federated States of Micronesia
- Gilbert Islands, the main part of Kiribati
- Mariana Islands, politically divided between the United States territories of Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands
- Marshall Islands
- Wake Island, a US Minor Outlying Island