15 Interesting Facts About Pregnancy and Childbirth

Knoji reviews products and up-and-coming brands we think you'll love. In certain cases, we may receive a commission from brands mentioned in our guides. Learn more.
15 Interesting Facts About Pregnancy and Childbirth
  1. Only 5% of babies are born on their due date. Most babies arrive anywhere between 37 to 42 weeks.
  2. A woman’s uterus will expand to 500 times its normal size during pregnancy.
  3. By 6 weeks the embryos heart, which is a singular tube has started beating and circulating blood cells around its small body.
  4. The average amount of blood lost during a normal vaginal birth is about 500cc (half a litre).
  5. 80% of new mothers experience the ‘Baby Blues’ in the first 2 weeks after childbirth due to a rapid drop in hormone levels.
  6. By 25 weeks of pregnancy a woman’s heart and lungs are working 50% harder than usual.
  7. Most women will experience a bowel movement during the pushing stage of labour.
  8. By 29 weeks of pregnancy a woman’s blood volume has doubled, resulting in her kidneys working 50% harder.
  9. Only 1 in 10 mother’s water breaks before labour begins. Most women’s’ waters break just before the second stage of labour (the pushing stage),when they are nearly fully dilated.
  10. By 12 weeks of pregnancy the baby has formed toenails and fingernails.
  11. Only about 3% of pregnancies by natural conception will result in twins, 33% of that are identical and the other 67% fraternal.
  12. A man will produce sperm daily throughout most of his life. However out of the millions of sperm ejaculated into the vagina during sexual intercourse, only about 2000 survive to make it through the cervix in order to reach the fallopian tube and achieve fertilisation.
  13. The biggest baby ever born, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, was a baby boy born to a Canadian woman called Anna Bates in 1879. The boy weighed in at 23 pounds 12 ounces. He was 30 inches long and sadly died just 11 hours after being born.
  14. It is almost impossible to have enough iron during pregnancy. Due to the increase in blood volume, the body must produce more red blood cells, which are found haemoglobin.( The iron helps to produce this haemoglobin).                                                                              
  15. When a baby girl is born her ovaries can contain between 1-2 million eggs. By the time she reaches the age of menstruation and gets her period she will be left with only about 400,000.

By Tabitha Rattray

References

www.medicinenet.com

www.ivillage.com

www.kidshealth.org

www.paternityangel.com

www.childbirthsolutions.com

Dr Miriam Stoppard’s Pregnancy & Birth Book

0 comments