10 Health Benefits of PotatoFitness Gear & Equipment
Everybody knows that potatoes are a rich source of carbohydrates. But recent studies show that it has many essential vitamins like B especially B6 and C, and minerals like calcium, zinc, phosphorus and magnesium. And interestingly, potato contains patatin which works as an effective antioxidant and helps in lowering blood pressure.
Health experts advise to eat boiled potato rather than a fried one. Potato skin is a rich source of fiber, vitamin C, B6, iron and a variety of phytonutrients and carotenoids.
1. Kidney stones are otherwise known as renal calculi. These can be effectively treated with potatoes as they are rich in magnesium and can resist the accumulation of calcium in the kidney and other tissues.
2. Crush the raw potatoes and add honey to the obtained pulp. This is an excellent remedy for treating acne, burns and spots on the skin. This can be applied as face pack too. Potato is an effective skin care agent.
3. The calcium and magnesium content in potato help the people that suffer from rheumatism. Wash some potatoes and boil them in water for sometime. Drink the water daily once or twice to get instant relief from rheumatic pains. But don’t take the starch content in potato since it may tend to have adverse effects on rheumatism.
4. Apply the pulp of potato on burns to get immediate relief and heal them fast. Smashed potatoes can be used to clean and soften the skin especially around elbows and knees. It even helps in relieving inflammation when applied on the affected area.
5. Potato is good for brain function due to its high carbohydrates; since our brain depends mainly on the glucose level for proper function, the consumption of potatoes makes it work actively. Vitamin B6 that is high in potato helps in regulating mood swings and facilitates the necessary neurotransmitters like serotonin, melatonin and dopamine. It also works as anti-depressant and stress relieving agent.
6. Potato skins protect against cancer and heart diseases. While using potato skins for health, make sure that they are grown organically. Otherwise the chemicals in the potato skins may worsen the situation. The carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin are very good for heart and other internal organs.
7. Potato works like a natural sleeping pill for insomnia. Take a boiled and mashed potato before bed to induce sleep.
8. Cut a potato into small slices and sprinkle some salt and keep them aside for some time. Then collect the juice and take 1 tablespoon daily twice before meals to cure acidity and stomach ulcer.
9. Potato protects the heart from attacks. It regulates the electrolyte balance in the body cells.
10. Potato is easily digestible and the energy is readily available. It has kukoamines which are shown to lower high blood pressure.
Overall, potatoes have many health benefits. But diabetic patients and obese people should avoid the consumption. Never use potatoes that have a green colored skin as they are highly poisonous.
Dailymail.co.uk and IloveIndia.com